Honey Cake Recipe
Rosh Hashanah Recipes
Why not try this delicious Honeycake recipe for Rosh Hashanah
Danine’s Honey Cake – Lekach
200g plain flour
150g caster sugar
1 level teaspoon cinnamon
1 level teaspoon mixed spice
250g runny honey (or substitute half for golden syrup)
100ml sunflower or vegetable oil
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda dissolved in 100ml orange juice (or coffee)
50g chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 325f/ Gas mark 3/ 150C Fan
Combine the flour, sugar and spices. Make a well in the middle. Add the wet ingredients: the honey, oil and eggs. Mix thoroughly using an electric whisk or wooden spoon. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the orange juice and mix to allow to effervesce. Add to the cake mixture. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
Spoon into your baking tin(s) and now, you can sprinkle the top of the cake with slithered almonds if you like before baking!
Bake in a pre-heated oven for approx. 1 hour (depending on your tin size).
Note: This quantity makes two 2lb loaves.
Honey Cake Recipe 2
- 440g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 250 ml vegetable oil
- 175g honey
- 175g golden syrup
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180ml orange juice
- 250ml freshly brewed coffee (or strong tea)
For the topping:
- Either a handful of flaked almonds; or
- Honey Glaze
- 60g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-3 tsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Grease and line loaf tins.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In another bowl, mix together remaining ingredients, adding coffee last.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, mixing with a strong whisk or wooden spoon and combine until all ingredients are fully incorporated. (You can try to mix it in an electric mixer, but it is a very wet batter and mine goes everywhere!)
- Pour into the prepared pans and sprinkle the top with almonds if using
- Put cakes on a baking sheet in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the cake springs back when gently pressed. As the batter is liquidy it may take extra time, depending on your oven.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- While the cake is cooling, if you want to glaze the cake, mix together the icing sugar, honey and 1-3 tsp hot water, depending on how thin you want it.
- When the cake is still warm, trickle, spoon or brush the glaze over the cake.